1.25.2009

The shopping fast

I've started a fast. It's not the kind I thought it would be, but it's going to take willpower. And I will be hungry.

It's a shopping fast. Ninety days of not shopping, not buying, not spending on myself. Count 'em, 90 (or however long until my birthday on April 13).

Shocking, I know. (If you're not shocked, you don't know me that well.)

But I started the New Year thinking about how, despite regular small-scale purges over the past 5 years since acquiring a 1948 house with of-its-era size closets, I still have more clothes than I really need. And in fact, I really only love love maybe 20-40% of my wardrobe. So my first plan was to start wearing those clothes more than I do.

Just as I was mulling this idea over, I read this post on Whoorl about going on a shopping fast -- not buying anything new for 90 days. Intriguingly, she was inspired by a woman who was not only fasting, but wearing everything she owned at least once during the 90 days and conducting a major closet purge.

And suddenly I realized, hey I can do this. And more surprisingly: I want to do this.

Now, my 90 days is going to consist of Not Buying and the Wearing of Things I Already Have and Love. As much as I like the idea of a full-scale, day-long, organized closet cleaning and/or systematically wearing everything once, I have neither the time nor patience.

I'm barely a week into things, but I've survived a visit to the outlet mall surrounded by insane sales (oh, Calvin Klein, I'm so sorry ...). I can see it's not going to be easy, though. I'm realizing how many retail email newsletters I'm subscribed to, and how many cries for consumerism I'm surrounded by.

I'm allowing myself to cheat a little bit, too. The fast doesn't extend to buying clothes for Julia, or home furnishings and accessories. (And I do still have a Nordstrom gift card from last year. Gift cards don't count. C'mon, that's play money!) I also conveniently had just placed a big discount order at the Gap online the week before I decided to start the fast.

But it will be interesting to see how the next 90 days play out. Will my relationship with shopping change once I realize I don't need it as much as I thought I did? Or will I lose my resolve, and go sobbing back on my knees to Rue La La, begging forgiveness?

Wish me luck ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a strong woman, so I know you can do it!

One of the good things about moving across country is it forced me to significantly pare down my clothing and shoes. Although I do go shopping on occasion, it's still nowhere near the huge amount of clothing I had previously. If I weren't single, there would actually be room in my closet for someone else's belongings.

Chickenbells said...

You can do it!!

I was actually just mulling the idea over in my head about my wardrobe. How many "filler" things I have, and how many things I truly love and wear...shopping mostly in the resale realm affords you lots of extra things and I'm starting to wonder if it's not time to let them go somewhere they'll be more appreciated?

I can't wait to hear of your observations when you're done with this project...