3.28.2009

On being a mom

It's impossible to imagine parenthood beforehand. From the outside, all you can see are the potential negatives: the sleepless nights during babyhood, temper tantrums, diapers, toys everywhere. And at first, a lot of the fears seem to have come true.

(Unless you're one of those perfect moms who fall in love with their baby on day one, never have a doubt, always know what to do. I don't know any of those moms.)

But that's not what it's really about.

Endless essays have been written on the subject of parent and child. I can't begin to elaborate on the words that have come before.

What I do know is this. Last night, as a special treat, Julia got to sleep in the bed with me. (Ken happily retreated to the couch where he could actually be in peace.) And I woke up around 3 in the morning to find her on my side, snuggled in close, the cat blissfully curled up between our heads. There was my sweet, warm girl child, and I love her like nothing else on this earth.

That is the essence of being a mom.

2 comments:

Lora said...

I have been really struggling with giving in to my (just turned 3 year old) son on the sleeping front.

I love the way I love him when he is asleep, and when he is curled up with me my heart practically explodes.

But I don't want a kid in my bed all the time.

It's killing me.

Heidi said...

Oh, I hear you. We're lucky because Julia's a really good sleeper for the most part, so even though she would prefer to sleep in our bed all the time, we dole it out as a "special treat." It's also on reserve for nightmare nights, which are thankfully rare.