8.26.2009

Secret genius

I have written the most brilliant stuff you have never, and will never read.

It pops into my head while I'm in the shower, driving home, riding the Metro. Beautifully constructed ideas. Genius sentences of thoughtful proportion. Whole turns of phrase.

And then they disappear.

If I actually have pen and paper nearby, sometimes I try to snatch the words out of the air and put them down. But it never really works.

I've even thought about getting one of those little voice-activated recordings to dictate my prose and capture it.

But I know that as soon as I try to make the thoughts concrete by speaking them out loud, they'll be gone.

Maybe it's better this way. If anyone could actually read what I'm thinking, it probably wouldn't seem so genius after all ...

2 comments:

Chickenbells said...

Which is actually why someone should hold concerts IN my shower...because my voice? It's like an angel..

(oh...and the word verification is "dising" Interesting...I thought you'd want to know that...)

Heidi said...

We are all geniuses in the shower!