3.05.2010

Song choice

As I've previously admitted mentioned, I watch "American Idol." On the show, the judges often point out that song choice is crucial to earning votes and avoiding elimination. It's true. One of the biggest reasons we tune in week after week is to see one of those Idol Moments, when a previously unknown kid gives a star-making performance. And the formula for a Moment = Right Artist + Right Song + Right Interpretation.

So, what is "Right Artist"? What the current crop of kids is having a hard time doing is identifying an existing recording artist whose voice--tonal quality, register, etc.--is similar to theirs and using that as a guide. Not that they always have to stick to that, but it's a good place to start.

Song choice is tricky, too. Sometimes the right song can be conventional: singer with a big voice belts out a ballad. Sometimes it can be totally unexpected: Kris Allen + Kanye.

Finally, the interpretation matters. You need to know when to play it straight, and when to change it up. Often, the way the song is interpreted is what makes it the right song. See: David Cook doing Chris Cornell's arrangement of "Billie Jean."

Anyway, speaking of matching Idol contestants to the right artist for them, I had a few ideas.
  • Big Mike: Hootie and the Blowfish. Seriously. He's got the whole happy, friendly Darius Rucker vibe down. He could even try newfangled country Darius. Also, maybe Jack Johnson.
  • Lacey Brown: Ken called this one the other night. Not Sixpence None the Richer (seriously, that was atrocious). She needs to go '90s alterna-pop. Think "Zombie" by the Cranberries or "Divine Hammer" by the Breeders.
  • Crystal Bowersox. I know everyone loves her and thinks she's awesome. Which she is. She was the only one who showed any star power this week. I'm not sure how she's going to do once they hit the dreaded Theme Nights, though. (What is this girl going to do with disco?) And it's going to be hard to make her commercial. Having said that, she could fit comfortably into Sheryl Crow territory. And she could totally wreck shop with Melissa Etheridge. I'd love to hear her do "The Way I Do."
  • Didi Benami. You know who else has an interesting edge to their voice? Sarah MacLachlan.
  • Paige Miles. Jill Scott! Indie.arie. Maxwell. Something with an old school R&B vibe.
  • Lee Dewyze. Way overpraised. Anybody else think he's the one who should've been singing Creed?
  • Lilly Scott. Not exactly sure how to peg this girl. Maybe Aimee Mann or Me & Him (aka Zooey Deschanel).
  • Andrew Garcia. Chris Daughtry's version of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face." The judges are begging for another unexpected acoustic cover. Give it to them. It'll buy you another week.
  • Casey James. Does it matter what he sings? Train might be a good fit, though, if Lee doesn't steal it first.
  • Katelyn Epperley. Actually, Coldplay was a pretty good choice for her. She just interpreted it wrong. I can see her doing well with a Colbie Caillat.
  • Haeley Vaughn. Paging Disney Channel! (Yes, I know she's been voted off. Probably the best thing to happen to her.)
  • Tim Urban. Paging Nickelodeon! He's already got the required haircut.
  • Aaron Kelly. Paging ABC Family!
  • Todrick Hall. Don't care.
  • Katie Stevens. Ditto. Maybe she can get a guest spot on Aaron Kelly's new ABC Family show.
  • Siobhan Magnus. No idea. Seriously. I'm stumped on this girl. She can wail, and she's also got a full lower-register voice, so where does that get us? Queen? Adam Lambert? How awesome would it be if she came out and killed "Bohemian Rhapsody"? It hasn't really been touched since Michael Johns in Season 7 Hollywood Week.

Then again, what do I know? I'm not a musician. I'm just a music-loving member of the TV audience with ears and an opinion.

What do you think?

1 comment:

catherine said...

I've never watched AI. So, I don't really know who or what your talking about. But, I am super impressed...! AI should be reading this right now.