8.08.2010

Don't even get me started

Don't get me started about the day I had yesterday.

We were supposed to leave for Orlando, but Julia wasn't feeling well, so I called Expedia to change our reservations (air, hotel and car), and the madness began.

I could complain about the over 2 1/2 hours I spent on the phone with various Expedia agents who had very little ability to go off script. Or the exorbitant cost of rebooking an airline flight. Or the time we spent at the urgent care clinic so we could get a medical form filled out so I could file a trip interruption claim with my travel insurance company.

But I don't want to get me started. Getting through it the first time was bad enough without having to relive it.

The good news is Julia is feeling better; seems like it was a virus that finally wore itself out. And all of the plans have been updated (so Expedia tells me--knock on wood!) and we are leaving today.

Here are my lessons learned:
  • Always get travel insurance (and I'm not just saying that because they're a client)!
  • I will think long and hard before I book pre-paid travel again.
  • I will think long and hard before I book travel as a package again, particularly the airfare. Changing our flights would have been much easier if I could have dealt with the airline directly.
  • TripIt is the bomb, especially if your itinerary plans change.
May your travels be safe and easy ...

No comments: