6.22.2006

The accidental antique

Way back when we were first living in Miami, in 1992, Ken furnished his apartment from the thrift store. Among his purchases was a simple, sturdy coffee table which was used as a TV and stereo stand. When we moved to Norfolk for medical school, he sold what he could and left the rest of the furniture behind for the apartment complex manager to give to new tenants. He left first and I moved second, driving north in my '84 Honda Civic. The only thing I could squeeze into the car with my clothes was the coffee table. I have kept the table ever since, the only piece of furniture that's survived 7 addresses in the last decade plus, because I've always liked it.

Apparently I have a good eye, because as it turns out, the table is a Lane Acclaim mid-century Danish modern, circa 1963, which has recently become rather collectible. Not bad for a $20 thrift store acquisition. If I hang onto it long enough, it can become a family heirloom!

No comments: