1.30.2010

Karate kid

Julia started tae kwon do on Sunday. Tomorrow's her second class.

It was kinda inevitable that she was going to start at some point. I mean, when you're part Korean and your parents are black belts, how can you not?

Even so, I thought about soccer or ballet or something but never got around to it. And then I came across this program through the PTA list and it was just too easy. No contracts, weekly classes in 9-week sessions, held on Sunday afternoons at the Boys and Girls Club in our neighborhood. Junior Dragon pre-beginner class for the 6-and-under set. Like, could you come up with anything more tailor made for us?

I was a little worried that she might not actually like it. As much as she likes pink and princesses, Julia's pretty good at mixing it up with the boys on the playground. But that doesn't necessarily translate into a contact sport.

There were 11 kids in her first class. Seven of them were repeat students, and she was one of 4 brand new students. Of those, one kid just sat in the corner of the mat and watched. Don't think he's coming back. That left Julia and two boys.

New boys: squirming, wiggling, talking, repeatedly asked to pay attention and sit up right. Julia: deadly serious, following every instruction, not one peep, got a couple of outstanding's from the teacher.

That's my girl!

She's already planning to get her black belt. I'm thinking we make it through the other 8 lessons and get the white belt first, shall we?

(That's my girl.)

No comments: